A historic site Read more [...]
Place Category: Ambassador
An excellent walk up a volcanic extrusion (now quarried for road stone) with fantastic views across the surrounding area. An excellent spot to view physical geography in practice, looking down on the remnant marshlands, river meanders and other riparian features of the River Severn. This is one of those spots where how we have interacted with nature to shape our countryside is clear to see all around from hill forts to modern poultry units, quarries to pheasant rearing.
Remains of a hill fort can be seen on a number of nearby hills, including one which is believed by some to be that of Caractacus, with his last stand being fought against the Romans on the valley below.
Rodney’s Pillar itself was built to commemorate Admiral Rodney’s victory over the French in 1782. Local landowners from Montgomeryshire supplied oak for his fleet, shipping it down the river Severn to Bristol. Estimates suggest it took 2000 trees to build one ship so the local area must have looked very different with significantly greater tree cover. This single action must have had significant effects on local wildlife.